With technology being so advanced, travelers know that their cell phones are more than just a device to make calls from. Your cell phone can be anything from a map to an airplane flight tracker, for basically just the cost of your monthly phone plan, but if you are not aware of the rules of using your phone while travelling then you can run into unexpected costs and trouble. Here are some tips to using a cell phone abroad the cheapest and most efficient ways:
- Make sure to purchase an electrical adapter that will be compatible with the outlets in the country you are visiting. If you can’t charge your phone then you will not be using it for long.
- Turn data roaming off! Your phone should automatically turn roaming off when you are travelling internationally, but it is also smart to double check. Most people are not aware, but if you are travelling globally, even you are not using your phone, your phone will still use data to do things like receive messages, update apps, and so much more. If you do not turn your data off, you will get a large amount of unexpected charges.
- Use Wi-Fi. Always use Wi-Fi because it is free and it is available in many public places and hotels. To be safe, it is best to use a VPN (virtual private network). VPN’s protect your privacy and help prevent anyone from hacking into your phone because they basically create your own private network.
- Download the iVox international calling application because it allows you to make international calls for cheap rates. When you use this app (with Wi-Fi) you will only be charged the low rate per minute; you will not have to worry about any unexpected charges on your monthly phone bill. This app will allow you to stay in touch with people back home as well as the people and places that you are visiting.
- Write down important phone numbers and keep it somewhere safe. It is handy to have your it on you, but in the unfortunate event of losing or breaking your cell phone, it is always a relief to have the phone numbers you need written down somewhere you can access them.
These may seem like little tips, but if you take them into consideration you will avoid a lot of frustration and surprising fees.