Cruises can be one of the best valued vacations for you if you plan ahead and use certain strategies to avoid unnecessary costs. From booking your cruise, up until the time you arrive on your ship, you can take steps to make your vacation cheaper than expected while having just as much fun.
1. This is an obvious one, but shop around online to compare prices. Make sure you do your research and read the fine print. With things like cruise lines websites, social media websites, and special deal websites, there will be many options to choose from and one of them is bound to fit your budget.
2. Book your cruise during “wave season” (January through March). These three months often have the most cruise sales because the cruise lines are looking to plan ahead and book up their ships for the year. This is the time of year when the cruise lines are competing with each other to appeal more to customers.
3. Explore ports on your own. Shore excursions can be very pricey depending on what they have planned. Save money by doing some research and exploring the port on your own. Not only will you spend less money, but you will also have more time to do more things because you won’t be part of a big group.
4. Unplug and disconnect from the internet while you’re away. It’s nice to get away from the demands of always being connected to the world. Also, internet access and Wi-Fi are often charged at extremely high rates while on board. You should look into this information so you know if and what you will be charged. If the rate is high and you are someone who needs the internet, I suggest you wait until you are on your shore excursion before going online.
5. If you are looking for more than a one time trip, I suggest you stick with the same cruise line. Cruise lines reward their customers who continue to use their services. When you book more trips with the same company, you will definitely be made aware of more discounts and promotions that other first-time customers will not see. These rewards could effect your upfront rate, but they could also be perks such as special dinners and other upgrades.
If you take these tips into consideration while booking and while on your trip, then you will be able to keep to a strict budget while having a fun trip at sea.